TheSheepSite.com- news, features, articles and disease information for the sheep industry

All the latest news forSheep | Goats | Llamas | Alpaca

News

January 2020 Sheep and Lambs Inventory Down 1 Percent

13 January 2020
National Agricultural Statistics Service

All sheep and lambs inventory in the United States on January 1, 2020 totaled 5.20 million head, down 1 percent from 2019.

Breeding sheep inventory at 3.81 million head on January 1, 2020, decreased slightly from 3.82 million head on January 1, 2019. Ewes one year old and older, at 2.98 million head, were 1 percent below last year. Market sheep and lambs on January 1, 2020 totaled 1.39 million head, down 1 percent from January 1, 2019. Market lambs comprised 94 percent of the total market inventory. Market sheep comprised the remaining 6 percent of total market inventory.

The 2019 lamb crop of 3.23 million head was down slightly from 2018. The 2019 lambing rate was 108 lambs per 100 ewes one year old and older on January 1, 2019, up 1 percent from 2018.

Shorn wool production in the United States during 2019 was 24.0 million pounds, down 2 percent from 2018. Sheep and lambs shorn totaled 3.32 million head, down 2 percent from 2018. The average price paid for wool sold in 2019 was $1.89 per pound for a total value of 45.4 million dollars, up 6 percent from 42.8 million dollars in 2018.

Sheep death loss during 2019 totaled 219 thousand head, up 1 percent from 2018. Lamb death loss was unchanged from last year at 388 thousand head.

January 1 All Goats and Kids Inventory Up 1 Percent

All goats and kids inventory in the United States on January 1, 2020 totaled 2.66 million head, up 1 percent from 2019. Breeding goat inventory totaled 2.18 million head, up 2 percent from 2019. Does one year old and older, at 1.62 million head, were up 2 percent from last year's number. Market goats and kids totaled 478 thousand head, up 1 percent from a year ago.

Kid crop for 2019 totaled 1.64 million head for all goats, up slightly from 2018.

Meat and other goats totaled 2.09 million head on January 1, 2020, up 2 percent from 2019. Milk goat inventory was 440 thousand head, up 2 percent from January 1, 2019, while Angora goats were down 5 percent, totaling 130 thousand head.

Mohair production in the United States during 2019 was 730 thousand pounds. Goats and kids clipped totaled 127 thousand head. Average weight per clip was 5.7 pounds. Mohair price was $6.37 per pound with a value of 4.65 million dollars.

Sheep and Goats Revisions

All sheep and goats inventory and lamb and kid crop estimates for January 1, 2019, were reviewed using official slaughter, import and export data, and the relationship of new survey information to the prior surveys. No revisions were made to sheep and lambs inventory and no change was made to the lamb crop. No revisions were made to goats and kids inventory. A revision of less than 1 percent was made to the kid crop at the United States level.

Further Reading

You can view the full USDA report by clicking here.

TheCropSite News Desk



Partners